Welcome back, MIDDLE SCHOOL COUNSELORS!
VSCA is SUPER excited about our work and continuing to advocate for school counselors all over the state. All the hard work we do is for…YOU! I am ELATED to team up with fellow “Country Girl” and Middle School VP-Elect, Becky Collier this year. We are both from the same small town of Martinsville, Virginia. (Becky’s mom was my 3rd grade teacher!) Becky and I look forward to serving you with energy, passion and (of course!) southern charm!
Consider the following “school- opening essentials” to make the start to your year a successful one:
*Some examples are ones that I use in my current position on the elementary level. The general idea/ components will be the same for any level.
- Present a “Meet the Counselor” lesson to students to remind/ refresh them on:
- The role of a school counselor
- How to use you/ your department as a resource
- Expectations/ habits for academic, career and behavior/ personal/ social success
- Any procedures/ upcoming events that you want to highlight at the beginning of the year. (While minds are “fresh”!)
- Plan out a “year at a glance” and be sure that each person in your department, administrators and teachers (if appropriate) have a copy. *This will help when selecting good time frames and avoiding SUPER busy times of the year. Planning this way also creates accountability and keeps everyone on task/ target.
- Plan a “School Counseling Program Proposal” and/ or a “Classroom Guidance Lesson Curriculum” to share with administrators. This communicates a collaborative voice from your department and shows your consistency/ plans for the upcoming year. (Be “one step ahead” of being assigned excessive duties by showing how busy you will be serving students and ensuring overall school success!)
- Utilize VSCA’s or ASCA’s crosswalk action plan document template to show how your program will directly align with state standards/ national mindsets and behaviors.
Best wishes on the year ahead! My wish is that you will be empowered to be dynamic, skilled and creative professionals. Work each day to make the positive difference beyond your wildest dreams!
Jentae Mayo- VSCA Middle Level VP
Below are some great websites for resources to start the year off right!
- ASCA”Back to School” Resources:
- PBS Kids Journal Page (when a student transitions into your school):
- Great, short video on growth mindset:
Don’t forget to register for this year’s conference in Hampton, Virginia! You will NOT be disappointed! Your VP’s are busy planning an AWESOME session just for you!
Don’t miss it!
WE WANT YOUR IDEAS! (We will give you credit- we promise!) To submit ideas or resources please e-mail us at email@example.com